Proposals must be received by January 31
The Garden Club of America’s Anne S. Chatham Fellowship in Medicinal Botany provides at least one grant award of $4,500 annually to support research related to medicinal plants. An important aspect of the award is that it is intended to enable a student to pursue an avenue of research that might otherwise prove closed. Accordingly, the funds may be used to cover direct costs associated with travel, field studies, or laboratory research. However, fellowship funds may not cover indirect costs, overhead, or student stipends and should not be used to pay for lab space or supplies normally provided by universities.
Eligible candidates include students in any field of specialty who are currently enrolled in PhD programs at recognized universities and recent graduates who have received their degrees in the last five years. The fellowship is administered by the Missouri Botanical Garden. Fellowship recipients will be selected by a panel of botanists with expertise in economic botany or ethnobotany, subject to approval by the Garden Club of America Scholarship Committee.
Please submit the following:
- a brief application letter
- an abstract of 200 words or less
- a one- to two-page research proposal, set in 12 pt type, giving the project’s background and purpose and describing activities to be conducted (proposals will be treated as confidential; proposals longer than two pages will be considered ineligible)
- a one-page budget that explains how funds would be used
- a current curriculum vitae
- for graduate students, a letter from a major advisor certifying enrollment in a PhD program
- copies of permits for field work or studies including animals, research clearances, and permission from governmental agencies for foreign research (if permits are being applied for but have not yet been obtained, please ensure that the proposal explains the situation)
Proposals must be received by January 31.
Mail applications to:
Dr. Wendy Applequist
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
Saint Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
Additional information may be obtained by contacting Dr. Applequist at the address above or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org