Tenure track, full-time position of Associate Investigator, level "C", in Systematic Botany (Instituto de Biologia - UNAM).
Primary responsibility is conducting and publishing original, high-quality products of research, with a balanced complementary participation in supervision of graduate and postgraduate students and teaching.
Access to fully equipped and functional institutional laboratories (molecular systematics/DNA sequencing; morphology and anatomy; cytogenetics; light and scanning electron microscopy) is granted from the start, but proactive search of external funding from national (e.g. Mexico's National Council of Science and Technology) and international agencies is expected.
Requirements for candidates:
1. A Ph.D. degree or equivalent, preferably in botany, systematics, evolutionary biology, or a related discipline.
2. Experience in systematic research of plants (any group of embryophytes), demonstrated by original, high quality publications, commensurate to age and academic trajectory.
3. Be familiar with the flora of Mexico and/or the Neotropics, as well as with the curation of scientific collections, techniques of field collecting, morphology, molecular systematics, and/or evolutionary biology.
4. A commitment to participate in activities complementary to research, such as teaching at educational programs of UNAM, and the direction of theses at the undergraduate and graduate level, activities of science outreach, and institutional participation.
5. Willingness to integrate immediately into the academic activities of the IBUNAM, practice leadership in his or her area of investigation, and demonstrate aptitude to form or integrate into a research group.
6. Proficiency in Spanish.
Applicants should submit a letter addressed to the Director of IBUNAM (Dr. Víctor Manuel G. Sánchez Cordero Dávila) with a detailed statement of purpose; a full curriculum vitae with contact information (supporting documentation is not necessary at this stage); PDFs of publications that the applicant considers the most important of his/her professional trajectory (a maximum of five); a brief proposal of his/her activities for the first year at the Institute (5 pages maximum); and a letter of recommendation. Applications with the required documentation will be received from April 02, 2018 until June 29, 2018, 7 PM Mexico City time. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a personal interview.
Email Contact: email@example.com, with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.